Ian I.T. Armstrong, M.D.,
Spinal Care Expert
American Board of Neurological Surgery
Diplomate, American Board of Neurological Surgery &
Fellowship, Specialty Training Spinal Surgery
Summary & Highlights
Texas Medical Center
Trained at Baylor College of Medicine and the Texas Medical Center (TMC) spending ten years at TMC working with Dr. Michael
DeBakey in various capacities. The Texas Medical Center is one of the largest medical centers in the world, containing
54 medicine related institutions, 21 hospital and eight specialty institutions, four medical schools, and seven nursing
schools. It has a population of over 120,000. It is a regional trauma center, one of the busiest in the country with
over 750,000 ER visits per year. TMC includes such institutions as M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, The Methodist Hospital,
Texas Heart Institute, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston VA, Ben Taub County Hospital, Herman Hospital, and TIRR.
Dr. Armstrong spent 10 years at the Texas Medical Center.
Fellowship Specialty Training
Two Fellowships in spinal surgery. Rene Louis, M.D.; Hospital De La Concepcion, Marseille, France and David Cahill, M.D.;
University of South Florida.
Joined a multispecialty spine practice in West Los Angeles – West Coast Spine Institute, a multi-physician practice that
straddled UCLA with Rick Delamater and Ed Dawson, Cedars Sinai Hospital, and Century City Hospital. He had the opportunity
to work with the UCLA Orthopedic Spine Fellows during this time under program directors Dawson and Delemater.
Brief Highlight Overview
- Chief of Spinal Surgery California Institute Neuroscience, CIN, Thousand Oaks, CA – 2017 to Present.
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery, UCLA School of Medicine; Voluntary – 2017 to Present.
- Stroke Committee Member, Los Robles Hospital – 2017 to Present.
- Faculty, National Skull Base Institute, NSBI – 2017 to Present.
- Member, Congress Scientific Program (SPC); Walter E. Dandy Neurosurgical Society – 2017 to Present.
- Chief of Neurosurgery Century City Hospital – 10 years.
- Governing Board of Century City Hospital – 10 years.
- Director of Spinal Surgery Program Century City Hospital – 10 years.
- Director of Neurosurgical Trauma Century City Hospital – 10 years.
- Director of Neurosurgical Trauma, Midway Hospital, Los Angeles – 5 years.
- Cedars Sinai Hospital, Staff Attending, involved with teaching residents, fellows and trauma call – 18 years.
- Medical Director of Neurosurgery/Spinal Surgery- Southern California Hospital at Culver City – 10 years.
- Governing Board of Southern California Hospital at Culver City – 10 years.
- Vice Chair Governing Board of Southern California Hospital at Culver City – 3 years
- Co-Chair of Bankruptcy Committee, Brotman Hospital – 2 years
- Surgical Committee, Southern California Hospital at Culver City – 3 years.
- Ortho Task Force, Southern California Hospital at Culver City – 1 year.
- Beverly Hills Medical Concierge – International Concierge Medical Practice, serving patients from China, Russia, Middle
East, Mexico; Advisor and Neurosurgical Consultant – 1 year (Present).
- Medical Director – CEO/Founding Partner, Southern California Spine Institute (Est 1996), a multi-office, hub and spoke
model, private practice spine surgical practice with offices in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Thousand Oaks, and Bakersfield
– 20 years (Present).
- Medical Advisory Board, Aurora Spine Inc., Carlsbad – Product development and evaluation, teaching – 3 years (Present).
- Nuvasive, Inc., Innovative Spinal Technology, San Diego – Consultant, instructor, peer education, cadaver labs, visiting
surgeons program -Instructing peers – 6 years.
- Founding Partner/Owner, CAST Surgical Center, Ambulatory Surgical Center, Westwood – Involved with developing, patient
care protocols – Sale to publicly traded national company – 5 years.
- Developing Partner, Owner Medical Office Complex, Bakersfield – 11 years.
- Conejo Concussion Institute – Medical Advisory Board – 2 years (Present).
- Nexus Consultant involved with peer review regarding medical compliance with practice guidelines – 1 year (Present).
- QME – Qualified Medical Examiner for State of California – 1 year (Present).
Our team works together to ensure the most efficient, individualized care. Our medical professionals include physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, neurosurgical and orthopedic spine specialists, as well as pain management specialists who work together in an integrated manner to develop a treatment plan emphasizing conservative care. Each individualized plan is designed to help restore maximum function, relieve pain, and prevent recurring injuries.
Spinal Care Services:
- Comprehensive Spinal Evaluation
- Implementation of Spine Healthy Lifestyle
- Regenerative Spine Care/Stem Cell Technology
- Artificial Disk Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Microsurgery
- Spinal Tumor Surgery
- Robotic Spine Surgery Trained
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusions
- Spinal Reconstruction Surgery
- Traumatic Brain Injury Evaluation and Treatment